Wednesday 10 December 2014

LITTLE BLACK DRESS

I can feel that you are about to scream “Not another LBD!!!” and you would be right.  However, when talking about wardrobe essentials, it is mandatory to mention the importance of having a Little Black Dress in my wardrobe or what kind of stylista would I be without it.

black dress from valentino collection
A Little Black Dress from Valentino's "50th Anniversary" Exhibition


how to wear little black dress, lbd
Dress:  Le'Elegante
Shoes:  Louis Vuitton
Cuff:  Hermes

As much as I try not to overburden my wardrobe with identical items, I ended up having two LBDs  - one with long sleeves for cold months and a short or sleeveless number for warm balmy nights.  Over the course of time, I came to realise that a black dress can last you a good few years before someone will notice that you wear the same dress time and time again.  Surely, if you have one of those elaborate ball gowns you bought for a very special occasion, I would be very careful not to wear it in the same crowd more then once. Case in point the dress I am wearing.  I wore three times:  once to the Italian National Ball and second time - to a wedding and the thirdt - to my 50th birthday party.  Since those three occasions involved almost everyone I know, there is a very slim chance me wearing this dress again. That's why my two other dresses are of a much version with almost no frills, bells and whistles and I wear them time and time again until I grow tired of them.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, accessories are the key to making a dress look different every time you wear it.  The possibilities are endless, as black is one of those colours that matches with every other possible hue, colour, pattern or fabric.  A black dress can easily be dressed up or down with an effortless transition from a regular daytime routine into a night of fun and adventure.

All you need to do is kick off your office flats and put on a pair of killer heels in black or contrasting colour (for a colour pop and more fun); and swap your modest necklace for a piece of eye catching jewelry. 

how to wear little black dress with contrast shoes
Dress:  Cue 
Shoes:  Manolo Blahnik
Bag:  Chanel
Necklace:  George Jensen

how to wear little black dress
Dress:  Max Mara
Shoes:  Christian Louboutin
Bag:  Chanel

If your taste is on the more conservative side, pearls, real or fake, around your neck or in strands cascading down the front of your dress always speaks style and elegance.  Just think of Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”.

And most importantly, never leave home without dressing your lips in glamorous red.

No comments:

Post a Comment