Sunday 9 January 2022

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

Hello dear friends,

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

It has been a very slow start for me.  Just I recovered from the NY party’s hangover and was getting myself organised, I was tested positive for COVID 😢and we all had to self-isolate.  For some inexplicable reason, I am the only one in our family of three who was tested positive, however Australian health regulations dictate that not only do I have to isolate for 7 days👍(recently reduced from 14😨) but all other members of our household should too so here we are, I am locked in our bedroom in the grip of boredom while my husband and my daughter are trying not to strangle each other in the rest of the house.   To tell you the truth, the Omicron strain is not too bad health-wise, it feels more like a common cold and if not for the pandemic ranging across Australia like a bushfire, I would’ve totally ignored it and carried on regardless but these days one can’t be to careful or ignorant.

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

Luckily, in anticipation of my husband’s upcoming radiotherapy, we managed to stage a few photoshoots so I will be able to continue my blogging.

So here it is, my first post of 2022.  If you read my last one of 2021, you might recall that it was about Australian summer essentials (a long-sleeve dress).  Today, continuing with this topic, it is about a linen shirt.  Although hugely popularized and commonly associated with everything Italian, the linen shirt in Australia has a totally different life. 

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

Here is worn over a bikini on the way to the beach to protect us from the sun while providing a cooling effect thanks to the lightness of the natural fibers of the fabric.   And once you are done on the beach, you can just tuck it into your skirt or shorts and go straight to dinner.

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

But on a cool summer day and we reach for it again, this time to keep us warm without taking away the feeling of summer. 

When we were travelling in Japan few years ago, the summer temperature in Tokyo was at its peak, yet the locals looked cool as cucumbers.  On closer inspection, I’ve noticed that rather than wearing a t-shirt or sleeveless tops, instead they were dressed in long-sleeve loose fit linen shirts or blouses.

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

So when I decided to get one for myself, I followed in their footsteps and went to Uniqlo, a Japanese manufacturer and retailer of casual clothing. Naturally, I was stunned by the variety of colours and styles of clothes made out of linen.  I stopped at the huge counter heaving under the stack of women’s shirts trying to determine which colour should I choose.  After a quick deliberation, I settled for the button-down classic shirt in a dark grey colour.  I figured that while it looks casual enough to be worn to the beach, with the help of appropriate accessories and clothes, it could do well beyond it.

AUSTRALIAN SUMMER ESSENTIALS - LINEN SHIRT

Today I am pairing it with white jeans from J-Brand, white and black monogrammed sneakers from LV, light grey Furla handbag and silver earrings by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany.

 

21 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are not that sick. But the isolation is no fun! Lovely summer outfit, I want some summer too! Lol, send some warmth over please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Even though I really never wear button downs, this makes me want to pick one up. I love grey and white!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your dark gray button-down classic shirt. I think it is very suitable for summer. Thank you for sharing this post and I wish you well .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that linen is a perfect fabric for summer, and you look brilliant in this button-down shirt. Sorry to hear about you testing positive for Covid. Take care!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear that your bout with COVID wasn't too awful. Thanks for joining the Fine-Whatever link-up.

    Rena
    www.finewhateverblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally love the linen shirt! it looks great on you

    wishing you a wonderful year ahead
    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're not experiencing severe symptoms! But ugh, isolating is really tough- but good for you for doing the right thing! So many in America don't- it's crazy. And you are super cool and chic in this linen shirt- I love how cool you can in linen pieces!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute look for out and about! I love your white pants. Big bummer about Covid though... I'm sorry to hear that and hope you have recovered easily.

    Miles of smiles,
    Grace

    gracefulrags.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear that you were sick, but glad it was not too serious. Your neutral outfit is so versatile for warm weather and I love it!

    I hope you are having a great week so far!

    Amber

    Visit AvecAmber.com

    Follow Avec Amber on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, you're looking so chic!
    Love it so much.

    www.ferbena.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you don't have too bad a time having the virus. I was so tired over anything else when I had it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice neutral outfit! I don't have any linen shirts but do have a couple linen blend dresses! :)

    Sorry to hear you caught covid - hope it stayed as a mild case for you and you're out of iso now! I know someone who caught delta and even though they were vaxed it was really rough on them, so I'm hoping we don't catch it!

    Thanks for joining the #WeekdayWearLinkup the other week! Hope that you are having a great weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Mica, I believe that Delta is much more severe than Omicron but either way it's better not catch it. Have a great week ahead
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete