Monday 27 April 2015

WHAT I WORE - A PRINTED SHEATH DRESS BY MARY KANTRANTZOU

The first time I set my eyes on MarY Katrantzou dresses, I was lost for words and that does not happen very often, let me tell you.  But this time I was absolutely mesmerised by the richness of the prints, by the juxtaposition of colours and textures, by the level of creativity and imagination.  Her collection of dresses was the most exciting among anything else hanging on the racks around me.

printed dress

Sadly, I found that some of them were a tad too elaborate for my taste and even though they were absolutely beautiful, I knew that I could hardly wear them.  So I settled for a less grand but still totally adorable and hugely adaptable day dress. 

Since the digital print is the focal point of any of MarY Katrantzou creations, this symbol-laden "Julie" cotton printed sheath dress is no different - a simple non-dominant cut that allows the print to make an effortless statement.

Because my dress has such a strong pattern, it is very important to choose the right fashion accessories to create a look that is put-together without being visually overwhelming.  With that in mind, I chose a simple set of sterling silver earrings and a matching ring.

The same consideration should be given to the shoes and the handbag.  If in doubt, my suggestion is go for a nude or neutral colour shoes. 

If you are not sure what shoes to wear with the printed dress, use the colours in the print of your dress as a guide.  If you, like me, have a taste for strong bold colour combinations, choose the shoes in a complimentary colour to the dominant colour of your dress.  (Complimentary colours are any two colours which are directly opposite each other on the colour wheel.  They provide high contrast and reinforce each other brightness). 




Hence, my choice fell on a pair of playful low heel bright red shoes (green and red are complimentary colours) by Chloe, a matching purse and a smear of bright red lipstick to complete the look.

printed dress


day time printed dress

Linking with Fashion Should be Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment